Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Lady Takes a Fall (or does she?)

I have to admit that I'm saddened by all of the bru-ha-ha about Ann Coulter's comments towards John Edwards. Not surprised, really, but saddened. I'm saddened that the comment was made. Sad that the media gave it so much attention. I'm very sad that it seems to be a rallying point for so many with axes to grind.

I think that the lady (perhaps a qualified term) explained it best herself. She acknowledged that it was a juvenile taunt at someone she wanted to insult. Once upon a time, that might have been the end of it. That was an older day, when our parents tried to teach us not to fear words. We've now arrived at the point where politics may be local, but snippy remarks can go global in a heart beat. If this is supposed to be a more civilized era, I can't say I understand why.

I'm not going to defend an insult. I try to avoid them myself, but I don't much like confrontation. I also prefer to be polite. Having said that, it seems pretty ridiculous to me that so many people are getting upset about this. If people stopped airing the comments, they'd die out soon enough. As it is, I guess we'll be treated to media outrage for quite a while.

I was amused however at some of the comments directed toward Ms. Coulter. There were claims that she was getting her due, or just desserts, or some such thing. I read snickers as assumed conservatives apologized for or denounced her words. "Thrown under the bus," was in at least one blog. "Sniveling" appeared in another. I didn't hear what any of the Republicans said about her, but I read Ms. Coulter's statement. The sniveling escaped me. Like her or hate her, there's a l0t of steel in that woman. She's smart enough to know that the best way to let yourself be destroyed these days is to apologize to the media circus. It did in Trent Lott. It did in Larry Summers. For anyone that might lean conservative these days, there is no upside to an apology. Better to ride it out.

And she will. I've read a fair portion of Ms. Coulter's work. She dishes it out, but she's shown that she can take it as well. She realizes that words have power, yes, but only the power we give them. And that's why she'll survive long after the apologizer's have disappeared.

No comments: